Life Is Like A Box Of Chocolates

This is one of those entries I wish I hid behind a pseudonym. There are so many things I want to say but I am limited in my writing when it touches the personal lives of my friends. However what happened last year, to 3 people who I was close to at different points in my life, all in one year was one of those moments that made me fear life, feel it’s fragility and being beyond my control. Their stories are a reminder on how our lives can change in an instant.

*Amanda was a friend from college. She’s one of those people that everyone develops an instant┬áliking to. After she graduated she got a job in one of Cebu’s well-known companies, got a high position, got married, had a beautiful son. 2008 another classmate from Cebu emailed me that Amanda went into a coma. Encephalitis. She was bedridden for almost a year. When I arrived in Cebu for my Philippine vacation last February, my friend surprised me by bringing Amanda along. She looked well considering what she had undergone but still weak, she had a nurse with her. Since Evan didn’t have lunch yet we did a MacDonald drive thru. We got french fries among others. Amanda had a bite. It was her first solid food in over a year. She is lucky to have survived the ordeal.

While I was in the Philippines another friend from college texted me, *Theresa, also a friend from college, one of the most genuinely nicest people I know and only a couple of years older than me, suffered a heart attack and had bypass surgery. Theresa is not married, doesn’t have parents and her only sibling alive is working outside the country. But Theresa, a testament to her goodness, had many friends. They rallied around her and helped her with the hospital bill.

Last July, I received shocking news that one of my childhood friends *Michael went into a coma too. He just complained of having a headache and the next thing they know, he had to be rushed to the hospital. He didn’t wake up until 2 weeks after. He woke up disoriented and … blind. The last (and first since the incident) time I talked to him over the phone December, he still can’t see. We are still hopeful that he is going to have his vision back.

I thought about Michael this morning. I was at the library and was looking for audio books on sale. They had John Grisham on tape the last time I was there but I didn’t buy it because I wasn’t sure if Michael still had cassette tape players and also Evan was with me and we were in a rush. I promised Michael that I was going to send him an audioCD because I know it will be a scarcity in the Philippines, or too expensive and Michael has always been a reader.

Well I found out that the John Grisham audiobook wasn’t there anymore. I found some Sherlock Holmes but it was incomplete. I went to Border’s to buy my Red Tea Vanilla Latte and to my delight I found several audioCDs (pictured above) on sale. They are perfect for Michael.

I wish them all well.

*not their real names

This entry was posted in Musings. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Life Is Like A Box Of Chocolates

1. Kittymama says:

It’s always worrisome to hear of friends and loved ones falling ill (or much worse). We always feel helpless and scared. I didn’t sleep well for years after my dad got sick, and even now, I hate the ringing of the phone at odd hours. We can only pray and hope that we have loved them well and that they know it. :-)

2. Loraine says:

Each day is truly a blessing. It is scary to hear those illnesses on people you know and same age as yours. It makes you think of our vulnerability and at a lesser extent fraility.

3. Ed says:

Yes life is fragile and it takes experiences like those above or just you mentioning them to bring that back into perspective for the rest of us. Thanks for the focus.

4. auee says:

Nakakalungkot… Ako naman sa HS batch namin sunod-sunod ang namamatayan & weird coincidence but they all lost their fathers. Ako din naiisip ko ang mortality not my own, but my parents. How short their lives are now & that Death is coming closer. We just have to be prepared all the time.

5. MC says:

Michael would enjoy that audio book. On long drives, we put on an audio book and listened to it instead of some music.

Have a blessed Good Friday observance and a glorious Easter Sunday.

6. geri says:

Hi Kitty Mama, I feel the same way about the phone ringing in the middle of the night.

Loraine, these are the sort of illnesses we think only old people get not people our age.

Ed, I know, at the time I was writing it I distressing about something I failed to do but thinking about what they had and having certainly put things in prespective.

Auee, that too. Sometimes I would think that the more we have loved ones the more vulnerable we are.

MC, I certainly hope so. I was browsing amazon and saw some abridged version of Grisham and thinking that might be good for him too especially since I don’t know if he can focus on something for long.

7. Judy says:

Ger, how much are the audio CDs. We got tons and they are selling really cheap. I never knew there’s a lot of people here who loves listening to it. I also thought it was only for people who are incapacitated but I learned that people who goes on long commutes to work were also into it.

I am sorry for your friends. My prayers are with them.

8. geri says:

Judy, I got them at that price pictured above, usually they sell for more than $20. I thought about your when I bought them because they were are Border’s pero I was thinking I will let my friend try a couple and see if he likes them. Audio CDs are now useful for me while watching Evan play at the park, I don’t get as bored anymore and let him play for an additional hour than usual.

9. Judy says:

Ooops, I didn’t see the price. We are selling it for 5.99 and if you buy 3, the 4th one is free.

10. geri says:

Really Judy? That’s a great price! I have to check it out again.

Comments are closed.