Never throw broken glass in the garbage without having it contained inside a box and openings taped shut for good measure. I learned this lesson the hard way last year.
My husband usually takes out the trash but it was one of those days I wanted to do it myself. As I lifted the heavy black trash bag my thumb made contact with a broken glass inside the bag giving me an inch long gash (yes, it cut a little bit of my nail).
My first reaction was to run to the ER but I calmed down, did a “torniquet” with a band aid and see if the bleeding stopped and it did. Made an appointment with a doctor at a better time when Tom was here to look after Evan.