Gone Gaga Over Dragons

I like watching movies in the big screen with my small son, especially during wintertime when outdoor activities are limited. A slight problem is good children’s movies are hard to come by especially for his age, he is soon turning 4.
We haven’t eaten in MacDonald’s ever since I became a vegan. But I caved in when I saw how much Evan was delighted with the dragon characters that came with the Happy Meal. We recently added a 5th one. Toothless is the black dragon. He is a lot cuter in the movie. Oh, I eat the Southwest salad without the chicken.

My personal favorites for movies we watched last year were “Up” and “Princess And The Frog“. Other movies we saw were Astroboy, Ponyo (which for some reason made my son very emotional he bawled on a few parts, yet he still wanted to watch in on DVD), Where The Wild Things Are, The Fantastic Mr. Fox (with dad) and Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs. I don’t think he has a favorite, the experience of watching a movies on the big screen would be enough to make it his favorite. Even if it’s a bad. As much as I was tempted for his sake to endure Alien 51 and Alvin The Squeakquel, I just couldn’t bear the thought of sitting through an hour and a half of idiocy. I have my limits.

I didn’t expect to fall in love with “How To Train Your DRAGON” especially since I’ve read a few bad viewer’s review but I did. So much that Evan and I watched it for the second time today. The first time was 2 weeks ago. I went inside the moviehouse not having any expectations, not knowing the plot except that that it was about a boy and a dragon. The first 15 minutes was pretty intense, which made Evan a little nervous, then it became cute. The boy’s dragon, Toothless, has to be the most adorable dragon ever created. He isn’t your typical dragon, he reminds me of a cross between a cat and a dog. The really nice thing about this film is that you never know how the next scene will unfold and the story just keeps getting better. Not a boring nanosecond even for an adult. And the parents who watched with me would agree because they were the ones who laughed louder than the kids.

The first time we’ve watched it, I would say it was a very good movie but not on the same level as “Up” or “Princess And The Frog”. After the second time however I would say that it IS as good as the 2 aforementioned movies. I enjoyed it even more after watching it again today.

Now Evan says his name is Hiccup and he has an invisible pet dragon named Toothless. We can’t wait for “Shrek” and “Toy Story 3” coming in the next few months.

This entry was posted in Evan Diaries. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Gone Gaga Over Dragons

1. Ed says:

Little Abbey has three of the four in the picture. She doesn’t have the green one yet. She didn’t like the black one and as a result, I have to store it in my bedroom for the time being. She hasn’t seen the movie yet though she did watch “Up.” She doesn’t seem so into movies yet and rarely watches one clear through at home so I haven’t taken her out to an actual movie theater yet. From what I’ve seen with other friends who have boys her age, boys and girls are just so different at this age.

2. Emilie says:

Din, I have started moving back to the Disney classics, Barbie and just yesterday Little Einsteins with Julia. Mainly because after I have told her that saying “stupid” (something she got from one of the kids in daycare) is a bad word, she is noticing all the stupid words in the famous Disney/Pixar/even Miyasako’s movies. (I am nearly writing them on this believe me.) I could not believe, how many “stupid”, “idiot” “shut up” words there are in the animation films these days. We don’t have that much name calling back home didn’t we? I don’t know if it’s a cultural thing..I hope the dragons movie doesn’t have those. We haven’t seen it yet but was looking forward to it as it is from Dreamworks. Good to know you liked it.

3. Kittymama says:

Loved, loved this movie! It’s so different from the How To Train Your Dragon book (movie’s better, I honestly believe) but soo much better.

It’s great that McD’s has choices for vegans these days. I think we already have the salads here too, but the last one I tried was kind of soggy and didn’t taste all too appealing.:-)

4. geri says:

Ed, I think it’s even better when kids are not tv or movie addicts like Little Abbey is. I am just thankful that Evan loves reading and audio CD so much that it overcomes what could be a tv/movie addiction.

Em, Evan probably went through 2-3 weeks experimenting with bad words (kill, stupid, you’re crazy, I’m gonna smack you etc) I think most of it is just to gauge what our reaction is. It has gotten bad that we have thought of not letting him watch his Superfriends DVD or read comic books. But I also thought that now would be a good age for me to ingrain to him what these choice of words would mean. We just keep telling him that it’s rude, it’s not nice to say it etc even putting him in the naughty corner just to emphasize that we are serious about it. He has gotten a lot better, now he’s even the bad word police – reporting to me when somebody at the playground says something bad at the park =). I’m not sure about the dragon movie is bad-word-free although there is bully character there who appears for a short time. If it’s any consolation, just be thankful Julia is not in the Philippines and has access to the Nickelodeon and Disney channel. I was shocked at how much fighting (with guns at that) their cartoons have in there that while we were there I had to limit Evan’s viewing to Little Einstein’s and Dora.

Kittymama, I did read about there being a book. I am glad that it is so much better than the book – I can’t imagine it being worse. My favorite in McDo here is BLT Grilled Chicken sandwich. The salad comes with the chicken, I just put it aside and bring it home for Evan. I tried telling them once not to give me the chicken but I only got confused look from the cashier. The southwest salad is actually filling since it has beans on it.

5. Emery Hrovat says:

I like Shrek movies, awesome animation film.

6. geri says:

I liked the last Shrek movie, not so much of the 3rd one.

Comments are closed.