Here Comes Spring Break!

Evan and I were excited for spring break to come. Here is how we spent the first beautiful day of spring break.
It just seems a shame not to walk on a happy, sunny morning like this. But first, my 5 year old climbs a tree to pose for the camera.
I asked Evan to snap a picture of the most comfortable running shoes (Saucony Grid Flex) ever. Just bought this last month and now running is almost practically painless. It’s so comfortable that I wear it any chance I get even though I don’t normally wear gym shoes when I am not running. The best part is that it is cheaper than most running shoes out there.
One of the things I love having an almost 6 year old child? He can watch movies that I even like. Here inside the moviehouse cafe/bar before going inside the theater for “Mirror, Mirror”. Trivia, did you know that the very pretty actress playing Snow White is Phil Collins’ daughter?
After the movie, off to Little Saigon we went via train.
What Evan was reading in the train, “Superman”.
What I was reading in train. A memoir of one american girl’s experience inside Prince of Brunei’s harem (bruneiyuki anyone?). Why I am reading this book? I saw it from a Facebook friend’s post a couple of months ago an excerpt of this book talking about a certain Philippine actress being part of the harem too. I haven’t gotten to the part yet. And yes, this is a library book.
At my favorite Vietnamese cafe. Here is Evan eating vietnamese spring roll (loves it). We also shared their sub sandwich house special (french bread with pate, ham, headcheese, pork roll, mayonnaise, house pickle daikon & carrot, cilantro, jalapeno, onion, soy sauce, salt & pepper – I swear they have the best french bread!), Evan loved it too. I get a kick of having a son who is an adventurous eater and I get to share half of my order (and calories) with him.

This entry was posted in Musings. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Here Comes Spring Break!

1. Loraine says:

Happy Spring! Seems like you and Evan had a quality time together… I cannot believe that Lilly Collins is Phil Collins daughter. She is better looking that her father, for sure. ha.ha. My recent obsession right now is the Vietnamese Sandwhich. I hunt for them everywhere. And you are so lucky that Evan is an adventurer eater. He got from his parents or parent.

2. Loraine says:

P.S. I am interested in that book you are reading. I wonder if Ruffa will be mentioned?

3. geri says:

Loraine, I stumbled about that Lilly Collins father being Phil Collins tidbit 3 weeks ago. You got to visit the Little Saigon part of Chicago when you are in the area esp Ba Le. I had no idea vietnamese sandwiches are that good, I am not of a sandwich person but I am now as long as its Ba Le =)

There are many things Evan is eating now that he probably wouldn’t eat when he was Benj’s age so don’t give up (last week he told us that he loves cabbage – now that’s one veggie I am not very fond of but I didn’t tell him that haha).

Here is an excerpt of the book mentioning a filipina actress: “There was Fiona, the clever one, the sophisticated Filipina actress who took the prince’s $1 million gift but declined his offer of marriage.” http://www.laweekly.com/2010-04-15/art-books/been-there-done-what/ I haven’t gone too far in the book yet but the writing is good, the author has an MFA in creative writing at New York University.

4. Arla says:

Hi Geri, it’s been a long time since I’ve been here, your son is so smart. I remember you when I was browsing craiglist for part-time job and when I saw this, I thought of you which you might be interested; http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/web/2944288336.html.
    Happy Easter and will pay you a visit again here.

5. bing says:

haven’t visited your blog for a while. wanted to say hello.

how your son have grown, and smart, too! :) you must be very proud.

6. geri says:

Hi Arla, that’s so sweet of you. It is actually a job I might also be interested in doing. Problem is I limit my search to work places within 5 mile radius from my home hahaha (unless they are acccessible by train like in the Loop). But I appreciate it =) How’s your baby doing? He must be so big by now.

Hi Bing, thanks for stopping by. Yes, I am so proud of my son. He is my world =)

Lorraine, I am almost done with the book (it is a page-turner) and Fiona is mentioned about a third in it. Major player siya. She is described as older than the author who was 18 at the time, popular television actress in Philippines and has a british actress. Sino kaya yon?

7. Mroy says:

banh mi (vietnamese sandwiches) are the best. they’re cheap too. if you’re paying $4 for them, you’re paying too much.

the spring rolls are also my fave.

8. geri says:

MC, Banh Mi is now my favorite sandwich, just thinking about it is makes me want to go there today but I can’t. $3.50 is not too bad for these parts considering it’s big enough for 2 people (ideally).

9. Arla says:

My son is in pre-K now, so I have more me-time and could go back to work part-time. I’m an avid fan of craiglist job openings because there are more chances to find one that’s nearby. I saw this one today and it might interest you ‘coz it’s nearby. Have a nice weekend. http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/web/2956686501.html

10. geri says:

Arla, looking at Craigslist is fun albeit time consuming. I’ve also subscribed to the Indeed.com feed, have you tried it? Thanks for the ad, however I just recently hooked up to a regular offsite freelancing job (I love working outside the office!) that I got through networking. So I got my plate full these days, hope it stays that way for a long time =)

Good luck in your job search and make the most out of your me-time!

Comments are closed.